MOFGA Certification Services offers a review and approval program for commercial composters to verify that their compost products meet the production and management standards required for certified organic farms as defined by the USDA-NOP rule. Once approved, compost producers are permitted to advertise their products as approved for use on certified organic farms. Compost approval does not constitute an endorsement of products.
Please note: The application deadline of September 30, 2022 has passed. The 2023 deadline will be posted after the start of the new year.
Terms of Approval
Approval is valid for 2 years. Re-approval occurs every 2 years following the initial approval. The cost for 2-years of approval is $300.
Steps to Becoming an Approved Composter
- Read the Guidance Document to understand the requirements for approved compost production.
- Submit your application and payment.
- An inspector will contact you to set up a facility inspection.
- Your inspection report will be reviewed by MCS staff, and an approval decision will be made.
- If approved, you will be asked to re-submit documentation every two years to keep your approval status current.
Contact Julie Trudel with any questions.