Processing is any modification of a raw agricultural product. Handling is to sell, process or package agricultural products. The NOP standard requires processors and handlers of organic products to be certified. (Distributors of packaged organic product and final retailers are typically exempted from organic certification.) Please read through this page carefully as it contains detailed and important information.
If you would like to apply online as a new applicant for certification, please contact our office directly to learn more!
We urge anyone interested in certifying their processing or handling operation to first speak with our processing specialists Joan Cheetham (568-6034; email@example.com) or John Welston (568-6032; firstname.lastname@example.org; ). It will be a time saver.
Below are the forms needed to certify a processing and handling operation:
- Organic Handling Plan
- Multi-ingredient Product Profile Use this form to detail the composition, processing, and label category of each multi-ingredient organic product you make. If you offer only single ingredient products, you need the next form and not this one.
- Single-ingredient Product Profile. Use this form to detail the processing and labeling of each single-ingredient organic product you make.
- Materials List. Use this form to identify all the materials and inputs you use in the operation of your processing facility. Cleaning agents, filtering aids, disinfectants, pest control materials, and equipment lubricants are among the materials that must be identified and approved.
- Applicant Fees Form
- Explanation of Cost Share Programs (instructional)
- Organic Producer Endorsement – Processors and Handlers
- Verification of Ingredient Status – if you are not certain if you need this form, please contact Joan or Corinne (above).
- Slaughterhouses. Organic meats that bear an Organic label must be processed in a certified organic slaughterhouse. We encourage organic livestock producers to work with their slaughterhouses on becoming certified. Here is a helpful information document as well as a custom supplemental form just for this purpose. Information for Organic Slaughterhouses and Slaughterhouse Supplement Form.
- International Export – if you intend to export your finished products please complete our International Export Supplement. For the latest information, policy and forms by country or region, please follow these links:
- Importing into the United States: For information on importing certified organic products into the United States, please read this.
- Warehouse and Uncertified Handler Declaration. This form should be completed by all producers using uncertified warehouses and handlers as part of their organic system plan. Please contact the MCS office if you have any questions.
- On-Farm Processing. There are instances when a farm operation will need to complete an organic handling plan (OHP); these include on-farm poultry slaughtering and other value-added products (e.g., bottling milk or fermenting vegetables). For simplified on-farm processing please complete the On-Farm Processing form. If you are uncertain whether to complete the OHP or the On-Farm form, please contact our office.
Organic Labeling Requirements. The NOP has strict labeling requirements. For more information on organic claims on product labeling and marketing materials, visit our Organic Logos and Label Requirements page. All organic product labels require a compliance review and approval.
Please email a PDF of your application to: email@example.com or you may mail your paper application to: MOFGA Certification, PO Box 170, Unity, ME 04988. Fees and a completed fee sheet must accompany your application.
Fees can be mailed in (checks payable to MOFGA Certification) or you can pay through our secure online portal.